This is the first year I have officially declared my atheism. In fact, it's taken me a while to even learn to spell it correctly without the spellchecker catching it. So yes, I'm new to this. And yes, I'm nervous.
Without boring or angering my dear few readers, I would like to assure you I don't think ill of Jesus. I don't even think ill of Mohammad, Moses, or even Buddha. Because those people lived. They existed, and there is sound proof. Their words were wise, and continue to inspire many to this day. That's fine with me.
I simply have a hard time believing that Jesus was really born in December 25, according to our present day calendar. But, if the majority of Christians want to celebrate this day in December, I'm cool with that. It breaks up the monotony of the the winter months.
To me, God is like Santa; a figment of mankind's creation but can be compared to God in many ways. Santa is perfect. Santa watches over us. Santa likes to give gifts. Santa has a naughty list.
But unlike God, Santa does not have the equivalence of The Devil. Santa does not send bad children anywhere like Hell. They just get coal. Santa doesn't make threats. Santa is married. God is not. Santa is jolly. God gets pissy.
So if you want to frown at me for celebrating Christmas, then so be it. The reason for the season is what you make of it. And I choose to be more like Santa.
1 comment:
I really think that if anybody actually thought about god, instead of just believing because that's what they were told to believe, they would be atheists. Or, at least agnostics.
But your take on Santa God is great.
Post a Comment