Thursday, March 12, 2009

Interesting Times

The times, they are a changing. And indeed they are at a rapid pace! I have never seen so many foreclosed homes in all my life. The unemployment rate in our area climbs higher each passing day as companies close one by one. Job fairs are overrun by the desperate and some are even turned away. And yet, I wish I could disagree with the latest findings of a Gallup survey (in cooperation with America's Health Insurance Plans and Healthway) that claims the happiest people in America live mainly "out West".
Initially my buckeye feelings were hurt deeply in reading the results of this survey because Ohio ranked as one of the lowest on the list. I almost began to reconsider my own personal happiness!
Should I be so unhappy that my my average cost of living is much lower than those who live "out West"? My rent is lower than most house payments in the West! I shop at Save-A-Lot and take personal glee in the vast savings. Even our gasoline is often lower than the national average on most days. Dollar type stores are aplenty in this part of the country.
Ohio has many things that I'm sure those "out West" would envy. We have drive thrus for our beer, wine and snacking needs. We also still have drive in theaters. We can visit restaurants with car hops. (Sans the roller skates, of course.)
We call our sodas "pop". We call soft serve ice cream "custard". We drive on highways. And we know not to park our cars on the devil strip.
Ohio is home to past presidents, the Wright brothers, John Glenn, and many, many more.
For those who say Ohio is not a land of happy people, are clearly not talking to the right ones.
I love Ohio. And I'm happy!

No comments: